Sacha's Overnight Buns!



This is a 10 minute recipe for breakfast buns! I make these all the time because they are SO easy - and nothing says love like fresh-baked bread in the morning ;-)

You will need:

2 cups warm water
1 tsp yeast (I use some fresh 'granules' type that's kept in the refrigerated section of my neighbourhood health food store)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I use sunflower oil, you could use canola or safflower, too)
Flour: any kind, white, whole wheat, mixed grains - whatever you like, feel free to experiment!

In a large mixing bowl, mix the water with yeast, salt, sugar, and oil. Then start stirring in the flour - I dump in a half cup at a time until I get a fairly good consistency: no longer runny, but not too stiff, either. I scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and sort of create a ball/mound in the middle of the bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave overnight.

In the morning, pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F, and then line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper (or aluminum, or nothing!) and then place soup spoonfuls+ of dough, evenly spaced apart on the baking sheets. (I use two spoons to scoop up the dough and use one to scrape it off the other.) Depending on the day I get 10-12 buns.
Bake the buns for 10-12 minutes, basically until they are golden brown. Et voila, lovely warm bread - great with melting butter :), cheese, jam, peanut butter, honey.... Leftovers are the perfect size for school sandwiches (if you have kids needing them!) or sliced and toasted the next day. It is the easiest recipe ever and fail-proof. My Danish cousin gave me the recipe without any particular measurements and I just played around a bit until I got it 'right'.

Hope you enjoy them!

Sacha

No comments: